What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is defined by the use of numerous digital tactics and channels to connect with customers. Digital marketing elements are social media, website, search engine optimization, adwords, content marketing, pay per click, affiliate marketing, native marketing, marketing automation, online PR, inbound marketing, e-mail marketing and SMS.
In simplest terms, digital marketing is the art of attracting people in need of your product or service, redirecting them to your website or other channels, communicating the message of how your company can fulfil their needs, converting them and making them happy.
Growth of Digital Marketing
Digital and social media has changed the way we communicate, research, interact, build relationships and do business. Our behaviour has evolved, the way we do day to day activities on our mobile, use apps, website and ease of access to information. Almost any market we target is spending more time online.
Internet usage was only meant for the wealthy. There is now a great change in the lifestyle of the middle class. The majority now have access to the internet in India and are looking forward to online advertising aggressively. Internet and 4G penetration revolutionized the marketing scenario for both consumers and the marketers. It was discovered that changes in lifestyle and standard of living had increased the level of consumption, quality and also the pattern of consumption. Majority doesn’t have time for shopping, people want things to be done at their own convenience.
The following survey from people indicates the size of Digital Marketing industry in India:
- 34% of the companies already had an integrated digital marketing strategy in 2016.
- 72% marketers believe that traditional model of marketing is no longer sufficient and this will make the company revenue to be increased by 30% by the end of 2017.
Cost to reach 2000 audience in traditional marketing:
- Broadcast – $150
- Newspaper – $250
- Magazine – $500
- Direct Mail – $900
- Total – $1800
Cost to reach 2000 audience in digital marketing:
- Web search – $50
- Social Networking – $75
- Total – $125
What does a Digital Marketer do?
Digital marketers are in-charge of driving brand awareness and lead generation through all the digital channels that are at a company’s disposal. The digital marketer usually focuses on a different key performance indicator for each channel so they can properly measure the company’s performance across each one.
The digital marketing career field encompasses many niche jobs. Digital marketing includes, but is not limited to, the following positions:
- Online Content Developer
- Social Media Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization Specialist
- Business Analytics Specialist
- Brand Management
- Mobile Marketing Specialist
- Web Designer
- Professional Blogger
- Search Expert
- Email Marketer
Benefits of being a digital marketer are, become an in-demand professional, more career choices, get paid more than your peers, kick-start your career easily, become an agile and versatile professional, work with different people every day, get to be creative and experimental.
Best-suited Person for Digital Marketing
The best-suited person for a digital marketing role must be, passionate, innovative to come up with new and exciting ways of reaching new customers, patient because sometimes it is a trial-by-error process, possesses a degree of finesse when interacting with customers, strong listening skills, goal-oriented, possess a social personality, intuitive, i.e., instinctively understand, over time, what it is that their customers want and they strive to deliver it to them consistently.
To have a rewarding career in digital marketing, it is important to master the following skills:
- Inbound Marketing – possess the ability to generate new leads.
- To achieve the project goals, one must be flexible enough to change what is not working.
- To manage several different campaign aspects at the same time, one must have strong organisational skills.
- Digital marketing requires being able to understand and anticipate changes in sales trends. So, one must have hands on experience in sales.
- One must possess the ability to create an effective branding strategy.
- Able to craft great landing pages for websites.
- Knowledge of Content Writing Platforms, such as Word Press.
- One must be able to create effectively, potentially viral, social media posts aimed at increasing brand or product exposure. To do that, social media skills is a must.
- A knowledge and understanding of Digital Analysis Tools.
- Ability to recognize and reconfigure under-performing content for the purpose of increasing brand exposure and customer interaction.
- Capable of using HTML to create eye-catching sub-headers and other visually appealing content.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Experience – Having a solid understanding how SEO works is critical to increasing search engine rankings. The higher a company ranks, the more likely people will click on that company’s website in the search engine query results.
- Strong ability to utilize Advertising Platforms, such as Google AdWords, to create effective ads.
Digital Marketing Roles and Pay Scale
This is an average of what Web Marketing Academy graduates get.
- Search/Social/Digital Marketing Analyst/Executive (0-1 years) Salary – Rs.20,000 to 40,000 per month.
- Search/Social/Digital Marketing Specialist (1-3 years) Salary – 4 to 5 lacs per annum.
- Search/Social/Digital marketing strategist/Team lead (3-4 years) 5 to 6 lacs per annum.
- Search/Social/Digital marketing account manager– (5 – 8 Years) 7 to 10 lacs per annum.
- Search/Social/Digital marketing – VP- (8-15 years) 12 to 50 lacs per annum.
When you start your career, you might be specializing in one area such as SEO. But based on your interest or business need, you can also learn and get into social media, PPC, analytics, mobile, content, etc. For a senior role like Digital marketing managers, companies will expect you to know all the channels, manage a team, allocate budget and work with an agency if necessary.
Now that you have all the information, you can get started on your career in Digital Marketing.
For more such information and digital updates, visit us frequently.